Back to Recipe Page
Virginia Ham Biscuits
- 2 ¼ cups self-rising flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup butter-flavored shortening (such as Crisco)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup whole-grain mustard
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces ham, sliced ¼ inch thick, from a bone-in or boneless ham
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C)
flour and baking soda together in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a
knife or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a
well in the center of the mixture and stir in buttermilk until a soft
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes. Roll dough out to a ½ inch thick rectangle.
- Cut biscuits out with biscuit cutter and transfer to a baking sheet.
in preheated oven until tops are light brown and sides begin to darken,
about 10 minutes. Remove biscuits to cool completely on a wire rack.
a small bowl whisk the whole-grain mustard, honey, and Dijon mustard
until smooth. When the biscuits are cool enough to handle, split and
spread the bottoms with the honey mustard. Add the ham and the biscuit
top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
courtesy of Meredith Corporation magazines (e.g., allrecipes.com,
eatingwell.com, bhg.com, marthastewartliving.com) unless otherwise