Back to Recipe Page
MICHIGAN PASTIES (MEAT HAND PIES)
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 ¼ cups ice water
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 ½ cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 carrots, shredded
- 1 onion
- ½ cup diced rutabaga
- 1 ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- ½ cup hot water
- Whisk together flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture, and quickly stir in ice cold water.
- Form dough into a ball. Set aside.
- Dissolve the bouillon cube in the hot water. Combine uncooked vegetables, uncooked meats, salt, pepper, and bouillon.
out pastry dough into 6”x8” rectangles. Place about 1 ½ cups filling in
the center of each rectangle. Bring 6” sides together and seal. Cut a
slit in the top of each pasty. Place on dull, not black, baking pans.
- Bake at 450 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
Note: Pasties can be baked and then frozen. To reheat, place in a 300
degree F (150 Degree C) oven until warmed through—about 20 minutes.